Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Subhumans: Live at the Marion Hotel (1981)




Canada's Subhumans (more HERE) were never road warriors, like their regional rivals D.O.A. but they certainly did tour hard and tour well, as evidenced by this excellent soundboard recording from a venue that is, quite literally, three blocks away from where I write these words today. The Marion Hotel has always been a biker bar, which makes sense as the rough-neck sounds of both D.O.A. and The Subhumans always had a certain amount of biker appeal. It's a set heavy on non-LP (and in some cases unrecorded) tracks like "Escalator To Hell", Out Of Place" (both written by Ken 'Dimwit' Montgomery R.I.P.) as well as Gerry Hannah's anthem "21st Century", Mike Graham's classic "Behind the Smile" and Brian Goble's defiant "Out of Line", both from the Vancouver Independence compilation. All in all, an essential addition to a good Subhumans collection.


 


Tracklist
01. Firing Squad
02. Escalator To Hell
03. New Order
04. Out Of Line
05. Slave To My Dick
06. The Scheme
07. Model Of Stupidity
08. Greaser Boy
09. Urban Guerrillas
10. 21st Century
11. Screwed Up [Menace cover]
12. Behind The Smile
13. Let's Go Down To Hollywood




So MRML readers, give us your take on Canada's The Subhumans in the COMMENTS section 'cuz we've got more rarities in the bag. (Speaking of the COMMENTS section, that's where you'll find the Live at the Marion Hotel link).




Subhumans.ca

Alternative Tentacles





*
This is not my rip, that pain-staking work was done by Bat29 who runs a fantastic blog called Noise Addiction. Over at NA, Bat has been digitizing his massive tape collection and the results are stupendous. Go visit him!

*

9 comments:

  1. .

    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    SUBHUMANS!



    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9gf7lploi0a3c0u

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I always enjoyed the Canadian Subhumans more so the English ones, they remained second tier to D.O.A. in my mind. As the years passed, I find myself enjoying the Subhumans more and more. I am now greatly looking forward to hearing this live set. Thanks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the mid-90's a label called Essential Noise had big push for Canadian punk, putting out albums by Hanson Brothers, D.O.A. (The Black Spot with John Wright on drums), Show Business Giants (the excellent Let's Have a Talk With the Dead), and a fantastic Subhumans compilation. I don't think those albums are in print anymore, but they turn up used a lot pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this! Excited to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most exciting bootleg I've seen in months !!! if not all year. I recall drinking at this bar before another Subhumans show we were fortunate enough to get to open up for them, It was some place up on the second floor does that remind you any place that did shows ? I think the stair case came up in the middle of the room and the bands played in front of the windows of the front of the building. Hazy description I know but so was my head... Thanks Allot for this bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Convertido
    I love 'em both but I'm kinda foolish that way!

    Smicha1
    We'll be heading there this week. Speaking of which do you have a copy because I really need a decent scan of the front and back cover.
    Let me know.

    Soc
    Enjoy!

    Rev
    Glad you liked it, bless Bat 29 for the rip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great to see this, thank you and bat 29 - i'll be checking out his site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we "opened" for the Subhumans on this tour in Edmonton at the Riviera Rock Room. I say "opened" because we were an air guitar band called The Rockin' Ayatollahs.

    I don't think Brian Goble was very amused. He tried to pull the "singer" off stage, but was rewarded with a swift kick from the burly "bass player," and didn't try again.

    Marc (Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: too bad the link is down now. Would have loved to hear it!

    Cheers,

    Marc (Canada)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die