Tuesday, December 13, 2011

D.O.A. Right to be Wild (Free the Five benefit single) (1983)




On January 20, 1983, former Subhumans bassist Gerry Hannah and four others involved in a series of politically-motivated bombings were arrested by a group RCMP officers masquerading as highway workers on a highway just outside of Squamish, British Columbia. The Squamish Five (documentary HERE), as they were called became a source of outrage for the Canadian media and a rallying point for friends and fellow-travellers.





Unlike the FLQ and the October Crisis, during which I was an infant, this was a chapter in the short history of Canadian terrorism, for which my memories are vivid. My family were chatty but during the eighties we listened to CBC Radio's The World as Six during dinner every day. As a result, I heard about every action in this political drama as it happened*. So when CBC TV made a kinda-terrible docudrama, The Squamish Five (watch a bit HERE), I actually stayed home solely for the purpose of watching it. Well before that odd viewing experience,  I'd submitted an essay on the Squamish Five for a Great Canadians project in my grade eleven Canadian History class (with the lyrics to D.O.A.'s "Trial By Media" carefully typed out as an appendix). The project actually involved poring over microfiche of newspapers from 1983 in the public library and helped spark an interest in history, not as something ancient and settled but as something still breathing down our necks.




After this benefit single, Gerry Hannah's "Fuck You" -  my vote for The Great Canadian Punk Song - effectively because D.O.A.'s. So strongly did they come to own the song, that when I played The Subhumans' version to my favourite dyed-in-the-roots punk girl back in '85, she dismissed it as "too slow". Of course, by that time D.O.A. had effectively assimilated The Subhumans by bringing it's leader, Brian "Sunny Boy" Goble (a.k.a. 'Wimpy Roy'), on bass and vocals.



 ("Fuck You" is the second song of three songs in the above video.)



So? Is "Fuck You" The Great Canadian Punk Song? Is D.O.A.'s version better the The Subhumans version? Let us know what you think in the COMMENTS section (which is where you'll find the Right to be Wild link)







Support D.O.A.!








* Please forgive that programming schedule joke that only CBC-fed Candians of a certian age will get.

9 comments:

  1. D
    .
    O
    .
    A
    .
    !



    D
    .
    O
    .
    A
    .
    !




    D
    .
    O
    .
    A
    .
    !




    D
    .
    O
    .
    A
    .
    !




    D
    .
    O
    .
    A
    .
    !




    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8g7ch04i5eubzuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll vote for the D.O.A. version, at least. Always loved that song. Forget where I first heard it... on a compilation that Flipside or MRR put out, not on one of D.O.A.'s actual records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always preferred the BIZ version of "I Don't Give A Shit" as my regional, West Coast Punk Anthem, but I'll go with the D.O.A. version of "Fuck You" as 'The Great Canadian Punk Song', with, or without the blues.

    I remember, as a kid, wondering why anyone would burn down a video store. Now I wonder about how those videos would fare here and now given what I've since seen on the 'net?

    The Direct Action bunch certainly haven't come off well in hindsight. The stuff around the wiretaps and entrapment, notwithstanding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living on the other side of the country and kinda clueless generally, I knew of this stuff only as phrases overheard on the radio. Thanks for the links to the details and the great DOA trax!

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice music, but I hope the guys didn't bomb away too many lives...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeffen

    Nice to see artwork included.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't pick absolute favourites and never will - two great bands, and a ton of other songs by other terrific artists who can't be booted out of consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brushback
    That version is the one that spear the farthest

    Bio
    "The Direct Action bunch certainly haven't come off well in hindsight." Yeah there's always been questionableness about their choice of actions.

    Doug
    I strive to have as much of the artwork as I can, glad when someone appreciates that.

    Anon
    Yes.

    postbear
    Yeah I don;t pick either - both great for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die